Bounty Bar Recipe from I Quit Sugar Kids
Today I’m super excited to be sharing details and a recipe from Sarah Wilson’s latest e-book, I Quit Sugar Kids Cookbook, aimed at helping parents and care-givers encourage their children to eat healthier food.
As someone who has written a kid’s recipe book Supercharged Food for Kids, I was thrilled to be asked to contribute one of my recipes to Sarah’s new book, which is full of so many delicious sugar free recipes that kids will enjoy eating again and again. The book also has a lot of helpful information for parents about how to make savoury foods fun and exciting.
There’s a section on navigating the school tuck shop which can be an area where many parents struggle with their children’s choices. But kids will be pleased to know that the IQS Kids Cookbook is not suggesting a full ban. They provide a real canteen order list and the foods which are IQS approved. There are ways to steer your kids’ choices in a healthier direction whilst still letting them have the thrill of ordering from the tuck shop.
Speaking of the school yard, I’m sure there will be much playground envy when kids start to open up their lunchboxes to reveal the yummy and fun recipes that are included in this fantastic book.
One of the chapter’s in the book is aimed at fructose free party recipes, an area where many parents struggle to find party food that isn’t going to send their kids through the roof on an artificial high.
The recipes are free from artificial colours, with a section devoted to great natural alternatives to use when colouring your cakes and frostings. You can find out how to make your own colouring from natural ingredients such as blueberries, beetroots and carrots.
There are some other fabulous useful tips in the book too, such as how to create natural sprinkles for kids treats and bakes.
I Quit Sugar Kids Cookbook has over 85 fructose free party recipes, breakfast ideas, lunchbox snacks and afternoon treats. Sarah also shares her ideas to get the kids involved in cooking and growing their own food.
Here’s one of my favorite party food recipes from the book called The Bounty Bar.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- pinch of sea salt
Raw Chocolate Coating
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- To make the coconut filling, place the coconut milk, rice malt syrup and coconut oil in a medium sized saucepan
- Over a low heat, stir the ingredients together until combined
- Mix through desiccated coconut
- Line a slice tray or container with baking paper
- Press the coconut mixture into the pan so that it is about 1.5cm thick. Refrigerate until coconut filling has set
- Once completely set, cut the coconut filling into bars
- Cool in the freezer until very cold (this will make the chocolate coating step easier)
- For the chocolate: place all ingredients in a double boiler, stirring until smooth/ combined. Allow to cool slightly
- Coat the coconut bars with the first layer of chocolate
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate until set
- When completely set, coat the bars with a second layer of chocolate
- Allow to cool in the fridge for 5-10 minutes before serving
Your can order your copy of I Quit Sugar Kids Cookbook here.
Brilliant! A must make!