Harissa chicken tagine is exquisite, enticing, and perfect for your weekday or weekend dinner. This delicacy has a little exotic touch that brings some unique smoky notes to your meal, thanks to the Tunisian red pepper paste.
The ingredients used in this delicious chicken and rice dish are melt in the mouth and it's healthy too with a good serving of vegetables, fresh poultry and spices. For flavour and creaminess, sour cream, green onions, zucchini, Roma tomato, and tomato paste work their magic in this dish. Yum, get in my belly!!!
If you don't have time to do a supermarket shop then this Harissa Chicken Tagine recipe is one of the most popular meals offered by Home Chef.
The meal kit comes with nearly all the ingredients necessary for this recipe. Olive oil, salt, and pepper, which you may already have in your kitchen are the only missing ingredients to bring this delightful dish to the table.
About Home Chef
Before we take a deep dive into the recipe, let me say something briefly about Home Chef (HC). This is a very popular meal delivery service that allows you to order meal kits conveniently from the comfort of your home. It's comparable to services such as Hello Fresh (HF) and Sun Basket, and provides consumers with very affordable meals and amazing deals!
Home Chef offers more options per menu plus free shipping on orders and is a very convenient way to save money on your meal kit orders.
Now it's recipe time!
Harissa chicken tagine
What You'll Need
- 1 medium-size non-stick pan.
- 1 small-size pot.
- A paper towel.
- A chopping board.
- A knife.
- 5 bowls of different sizes; 1 extra-large, 1 large, 1 medium, and 2 small.
- 2 medium-size plates.
- 2 chicken breasts (should be boneless and skinless).
- ½ cup Jasmine rice.
- 1 fl. oz. Harissa sauce.
- 2 green onions.
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste.
- 2 zucchinis.
- 1 oz. crispy jalapeños.
- 2 oz. sour cream.
- 1 Roma tomato.
- 3 tbsp plus extra olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1-1/2 cup water.
- Start by washing and thoroughly rinsing your fresh produce i.e the Roma tomato, green onions, zucchinis, and jalapeños.
- Then cook the rice: First, turn on the heat and bring the small pot with jasmine rice, 1 cup water, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a boil. After that, lower the heat and let the rice simmer while covered until tender and dry or for about 20 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and set aside.
- While the rice cooks, prepare your other ingredients: Start by trimming your zucchinis each at the ends, using the knife and chopping board. Next, half lengthwise, and cut into ¼” half-moons.
- After transferring your prepared zucchinis to the large bowl on a chopping board trim and slice your green onions into approximately 1-inch pieces. After that, slice the remaining green onions thinly on an angle, using the chopping board, and transfer everything to a tiny bowl.
- Next, core your Roma tomato, cutting it into ¼-inch dice, and transfer to the medium bowl.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry using a paper towel. After rinsing your chopping board with water, cut the breasts into 1-inch dice and transfer them to the extra-large bowl. Now, season with ¼ tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper.
- The next step is to sear the chicken: Start by heating 1 tsp. olive oil in the medium-size non-stick pan over medium to high heat until hot enough. Next, add chicken to the hot pan and cook while stirring occasionally until lightly browned or for approximately 5 minutes. Now, transfer your cooked chicken breast pieces to the plate and reserve the pan.
- Make a sauce and finish your chicken breasts: Begin by adding 2 tsp olive oil to the pan and returning it to the heat (medium heat preferred). Once the oil is hot enough, stir in your earlier prepared white portions of green onions and zucchini pieces. After stirring occasionally until lightly browned or for approximately 4 minutes, add tomato dice, tomato paste, harissa sauce, plus ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer while covered until thickened or for about 6 minutes. Next, remove the sauce from heat and stir in the cooked chicken breast pieces plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, finish the dish: Serve equal portions of rice on individual plates. Next, place equal portions of the chicken breast pieces on each plate of rice, garnishing with the sauce and sour cream. Enjoy with your partner while still warm.
Harissa chicken tagine is delicious with a unique flavor that emanates from the rich spices plus exotic Tunisian sauce used to make it. This melt-in-your-mouth delicacy has just the right amount of calories you need in a single meal.
That's not to mention that it's a healthy source of sodium. It can be accompanied by red wine for a more exquisite dining experience. This delicacy is quite popular among clients who use Home Chef.
To get started with the recipe, go to the website of the meal delivery service and order the meal kit. You'll get nearly all the ingredients necessary to prepare and cook a delicious two-servings Harissa chicken tagine. With nothing more to add, happy ordering, and cooking.
When it comes to salt intake, according to the experts, you shouldn't take more than 5g of sodium per day. Here's the nutritional value of the dish per serving:
- Calories--723 Kcals.