If you’re anything like me, you’ll agree that cars are really only useful for one thing: getting you from A to B. Whenever I can, I choose to walk to places and have always had the luxury of choosing homes that are close to public transport. I think we can all agree that one of the worst things about cars are the expenses. Car costs, petrol and insurance always seem to creep up on you. Whether it’s taking it in for a service, filling up petrol or getting a new slip, I’ve always tried to get down and thrifty with it. I’m sharing with you my six hot tips for saving money on your car – you’ll thank me later.
- Whenever I go down a hill, I make sure to lift my foot off the accelerator to save on petrol. At first, I found it a bit scary to just let it roll but sometimes, a girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do! I also avoid speeding or rapidly accelerating because one, being safe is really cool and two, it doesn’t burn through my petrol as quickly.
- Make sure your tyres are always inflated to the right height to save on petrol… trust me, it works.
- Whenever I’m picking someone up and I’m waiting for them to come outside, I turn the engine off. By standing (or sitting!) idly by, you can go through a lot more petrol than you realise. It takes less petrol to re-start the car than by waiting with your tank on.
- Stop braking up – your car that is! While aggressively speeding can make you whizz through your petrol faster, the same goes for braking suddenly. It’s much better to slow down into a halt than brake in a hurry.
- If you’re handy, or you know someone who is, get your (or their) hands on some easy car repairs. You may try changing the lights or fuses by yourself but before you do, find some online tutorials before diving head-first into your trunk.
- Ditch the car and walk! I seriously love walking and I know just how good it is for my mental health, physical health and savings. Here’s an easy way to junk your car.