Just a quick question...
Would you choose a ketogenic diet over a lovely bowl of root vegetable mash? 🍠
I know which one I'd be choosing, and really, who wouldn't want to enjoy tasty prebiotic fibre for good gut health.
*Runs away and takes cover from keto enthusiasts 🏃
Oh and one last thing, mash isn’t just all about spuds. Served either as a light meal on its own or as a side, this tri-coloured bowl of primitive, hulk-inspiring nourishment will have you at hello.
Anyway, later ’taters.
Enjoy the recipe.
Savoury Smashed Root Vegetables
- 1 small turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 80 ml (21/2 fl oz/1/3 cup) additive-free coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Sprinkling of Golden Gut Blend or Love Your Gut powder
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Place the turnip and parsnip in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil over medium heat. Boil for 10 minutes, then add the remaining vegetables and boil for a further 20–30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
In a separate, small saucepan, simmer the olive oil, coconut milk and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes.
Drain the vegetables and place in a food processor with the coconut milk mixture and nutritional yeast flakes and pulse briefly, so the vegetables are still chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper and gut powder if using.