A nourishing salad fit for a busy family is what I am going to share with you today.
Beetroots, carrots and fresh herbs appear to be the biggest culprits for left over fridge remnant veggies – anecdotal evidence I have managed to cultivate among many people I chat to about healthy eating and food waste.
While the best part of my job is helping people take control of their kitchen choices, I’m not a big fan of wasting food and will do anything to save a veggie from the trash can.
And so this recipe, a delicious Carrot, Beetroot and Pear Salad is the perfect example of roasting on the edge vegetables and still getting a great result.
A sweet, satisfying medley of cooked veggies, roasted in the oven with an array of medicinal spices and offset with the crispness of a beautiful pear. Again, any chopped root veggie could be used here – my preference is for beetroot and carrot for their natural sweetness.
Apart from their innate sweetness, I love carrot and beetroot for their grounding properties. I believe in ayurvedic philosophy and their eating principles definitely ring true for me, especially when it comes to food and mood.
Being a Vata dosha means that I flourish when I eat cooked sweet veggies, particularly root veggies for their ability to pacify and balance the unsettled brain.
This is really important to note when cooking dinner for the whole family– a tired and wired child will reap the benefits of stablising cooked root veggies, which are easy to digest and the best stomach fuel for their next task – bed time. More kids root vegetable recipes here.
The addition of warming spices is another Vata must, as this dosha feels the cold easily. You may have been using parsley as a garnish beside recipes but this super-herb has all the properties of a detox supplement without the price tag. Parsley has natural anti-inflammatory properties and an innate ability to remove excess fluid from the body, making this a supercharged food kitchen must.
Lately, I have grown to adore flavor infused oil. While you could use any flavored oil in this recipe I have found that orange infused almond oil, really elevates this dish from an average salad to one that you will repeat again and again.
Carrot, Beetroot and Parsley Salad
- Small bunch of carrots
- 6-8 baby beets
- Mixed herbs such as coriander, fenugreek, cumin and star anise
- 2 TBS apple Cider Vinegar
- Big splosh of orange infused almond oil
- Celtic sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 pear
- Chopped parsley
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Chop a bunch of carrots, top and tail baby beets and cube, place in mixing bowl and season with coriander, fenugreek, cumin and star anise, apple cider vinegar, orange infused almond oil and Celtic sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Place in oven for 45 mins and jiggle it around half way through.
- Remove from the oven. While cooling, chop cherry tomatoes, thinly slice a pear and add to a large serving bowl.
- Place cooked veggies and their juices on top of the tomato and pears, add a large handful of parsley, garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!