Happy Valentines Day ♥ + Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl
Love is in the air… it's officially Valentines Day so what better time to share my Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl recipe for your bae, your boo your BFF or you.
However you celebrate The Feast of St Valentine, make you and the ones you love feel special and show your appreciation by whipping up a delicious bowl of love, made with raw cacao and raspberries for the ultimate understated romantic gesture.
This sweet and rich smoothie bowl is filled with cacao, bananas and all-round goodness and can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack or even as a lip-smacking dessert.
Why choose to frequent confectionery aisles, when the superiority of a homemade bowl of feel good ingredients is so simple to achieve at home?
If you know me, you’ll know I’ll use any excuse to eat chocolate. I don’t even need an excuse. You know, because of the antioxidants… obviously…
I mean, who says you can’t eat chocolate for breakfast?
Not me. That’s for sure.
- Raw Cacao is overflowing with one of the world’s most deficient major minerals, magnesium. In fact, there’s no known source on earth that provides more. Magnesium is essential in developing a strong healthy heart, can help to relax menstrual cramping, strengthen your bones and open up more than three hundred detoxification pathways in the human body.
- Raw Cacao is super-rich in antioxidants. Ten percent of raw cacao powder is filled with them. They act as protective factors for the heart and circulatory system by increasing the ability of arteries to dilate, improving the functioning of the cells that line blood vessels and reducing the oxidsation of bad cholesterol (LDL). Interestingly, dairy appear to counteract these amazing antioxidant effects; just another added reason you should try my smoothie bowl.
- Raw cacao= happier you= lots of loving! Thank Phenylthylamine (PEA), a chemical that’s released into the blood stream when we are sexually aroused, and abundant in the brains of happy people. PEA is responsible for dopamine (the pleasure hormone), adrenaline and noradrenaline. When you eat cacao, your mental concentration will increase, livening up your attitude and increasing positive emotions such as joy, happiness and perhaps some hanky panky with the apple of your eye. Nudge nudge wink wink!
While berries and chocolate are obviously a loved-up, winning combination (hello chocolate covered strawberries!), if you’re looking for more smoothie combinations, these are some of my other favourites:
Maca + chocolate: frozen banana, coconut milk and maca powder smoothie, topped with nut butter, chia seeds and coconut.
Purple + crunch: frozen blueberry, spinach, banana and almond milk smoothie, topped with fresh berries and granola.
Mango + oats: gluten-free oats, coconut milk, banana, sea salt, chia and vanilla smoothie, topped with mango, cacao nibs and mint leaves (make the smoothie the night before for the oats to soak up the liquids and give the smoothie a lovely thick texture).
Matcha + pepitas: matcha tea powder, coconut milk, banana and mint smoothie, topped with pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sliced banana and cacao nibs.
Peanut butter + chocolate: banana, hazelnut, protein powder, cacao powder and almond milk smoothie, topped with hazelnuts, cacao nibs, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and coconut flakes.
If you’re as obsessed with chocolate and berries as I am, this spoonable smoothie is from the pages of my new recipe book called Supercharge Your Life which has over 160 brand new recipes!
Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- 125 g (41/2 oz/1 cup) raspberries
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 130 g (41/2 oz/1/2 cup) yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) almond milk or milk of your choice
To top (your choice):
edible flowers, passionfruit, lilly pilly berries, banana, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), chia seeds, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, granola and/or nut butter
Whiz all the ingredients except the toppings in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. The mixture should have a spoonable consistency.
Pour into two bowls and decorate with your chosen topping(s).
Happy Vee Day,
Love Lee xo
Yum! This combo sounds amazing. What raw cacao brand do you use? I had no idea it was so high in magnesium! I’ve been using magnesium for the past month and literally had zero menstrual cramps this month. It is a game changer!
[…] boiling and freezing cauliflower and zucchini to add a smooth texture to your smoothies, too. My Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl is a Holmes Home favourite. It’s tasty, fun to eat and includes antioxidant-rich raspberries and […]
[…] used to be all about the sweet. I could never pass up on my gutmeal, pancakes or a smoothie bowl for breakfast. But recently, I’ve found myself craving something else. I’ve become bored of […]
[…] Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl […]
[…] two favourite smoothies at the moment are my Hello Vera Smoothie for some extra-gut loving and my Chocolate and Raspberry Smoothie Bowl if I’m in need of something sweet and need to boost energy levels. I like to chew my smoothies […]