This recipe which contains raw zucchini noodles or (zoodles) comes from a recipe book called A Nourishing Kitchen by Amy Crawford who I met recently in Melbourne and who I now have an affiliation with.
What I love about this particular recipe is that it has a back to basics approach with real food yet still manages to capture the wonderful light fragrant flavours of Pho one of the Vietnamese's most beloved dishes.
Amy’s philosophy on food fits into two short words which I identify with, simple and wholesome. A grain and gluten free diet doesn’t mean you can’t partake in your favourite meals and flavours and she believes that no one should need to go without a tummy-warming Pho.
To grab a copy of Amy’s gluten, grain and refined sugar free recipe book click here.
Chicken pho with raw zucchini noodles
- 200 grams of shredded, cooked chicken
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 small zucchini or 1/2 large
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped coriander (root and stems)
- plus leaves for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (I personally use my own home made fish sauce made from anchovies and filtered water)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
w h a t t o D O
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Sauté shallots, garlic, turmeric, ginger and 1/4 of the chilli for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, fish sauce and coriander. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, create your raw zucchini noodles by using a mandolin or spiralizer.
- Place chicken and noodles into two large bowls and pour over stock mixture. Season if required.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped chilli, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime.