Delicious Stuffed Capsicums are an anytime dish. Enjoy them for dinner, lunch or as an appetising entree. If you have leftover cooked quinoa, this is a great way to use it up. You’ll need about 1 cup of cooked quinoa. You can also make a vegetarian version of this dish too for the vegos in the household. Just swap out the meat with one large diced zucchini.
- 2 red capsicums (peppers)
- 2 yellow capsicums (peppers)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 400 g (14 oz) minced (ground) organic beef
- 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes (sugar and additive free)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 70 g (21/2 oz/1 cup) quinoa, rinsed
- basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (425ºF/Gas 7). Bring a large saucepan of filtered water to the boil. Cut off the tops of the capsicums and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Drop the capsicum shells into the water and simmer for 3–4 minutes — you may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your saucepan. Carefully remove the capsicums with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until golden, 6–8 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds to one side of the pan and toast them until they pop, then stir them in to the onion with the cayenne pepper, chilli (if using), coriander and ginger.
- Add the beef, tomatoes and salt and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often to break up any lumps in the meat.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in a saucepan of simmering water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the quinoa, then stir it through the beef mixture.
- Divide the mixture among the capsicums, filling them loosely. Sit them in a baking tin and loosely cover the tin with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil.
- Continue baking until the capsicums start to blister, another 10–15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the tops with basil and serve.
For more gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast and sugar-free recipes visit supercharged.wpengine.com