I love experimenting with vegetables and cauliflower is one of my favourites due to it's anti inflammatory properties. It has such a mellow flavour (some might call it bland) but the trick is to spice it up when time is right and get those florets tap-dancing in your mouth. Cumin, cinnamon and coriander go well with cauliflower and it's fabulous in Indian cuisine.
This creamless "Creamy Cauliflower and Turnip Soup" hits the spot for a chilled out night in and although earthy and mild in flavour still manages to be melt-in-the-mouth sweet and creamy. With a couple of half cauliflower heads in the fridge which had honestly seen better days and some turnips on the turn I turned around this heart-warming healthy soup in no time at all. It's rich and satisfying and beats commercially made soup any day.
Creamy Cauliflower & Turnip Soup
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 small round turnips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 1 TBS fresh ginger, crushed and sliced into 2 or 3 chunks
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast flakes
- Handful of continental parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp ocean sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 3 cups home made or no additive chicken stock or filtered water
The How To
1. Warm oil in a large pan and add onions, celery and garlic
2. Sauté over medium heat and stir until well coated with the oil then add cauliflower and turnip and cook for 10 mins
3. Add ginger, ocean sea salt and pepper, yeast flakes, parsley and stir well.
4. Add chicken stock and bring to boil stirring a couple of times
6. Reduce heat and cover, cooking for 20 minutes
8. Transfer to blender, or use a hand-held blender, and puree. Return to the pan if it needs warming up