Tomatoes are one of nature's true super foods. They can be cooked in a variety of ways, added to soups, pastas and served up with salads. If you want to try something adventurous like the Greeks do why not try Stuffed Tomatoes? An exotic way to incorporate a host of delcious in-season vegetables into one glorious mouthful.
This plump and fulfilling meal can be eaten on its own, with a crunchy salad or as a side dish accompanying your main.
You can devour these cheeky parcels of goodness for breakfast lunch or dinner, they're an anytime of the day delight.
Organic or vine ripened tomatoes are the best to use in this recipe, as they'll not only taste delicious but will create a dramatic and striking effect especially if you want to keep the lids of the tomatoes which you have sliced off and pop them on top like a Top Hat. The vibrant colours are beautiful together and if you sprinkle on nutritional yeast flakes before you put on their hats you'll get a cheesy, nutty and sweet sensation all in one bite.
Being a high-source of vitamin C, A and B and magnesium, phosphorous and calcium makes tomatoes an extremely nutritive option. They're also a great source of chromium, folate and fibre....who would have thought so much goodness would come from the humble tomato!
If you've never had the pleasure of stuffing a tomato before its quite simple and really alot of fun.
Here's what you'll need...
- 5 -6 large organic tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast flakes (optional for sprinkling on before they go into the oven)
- ½ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS lemon rind
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- In a little olive oil saute onions and garlic until brown
- Scoop out flesh of tomatoes and set aside
- Put all remaining ingredients into a food processor adding olive oil slowly and mix seasoning to taste
- Place in baking tray and drizzle with little EV olive oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes if you have some on hand.
- Place in oven on middle shelf for 20-25 mins until cooked through