I’d love to introduce you to the smoothie I’ve been having on the regular for the last few weeks. It helps to clean and prime the gut, it repopulates your good bacteria, feeds them with healthy prebiotic rich fibres and also provides the amino acids needed to repair and rebuild the intestinal wall, strengthening it, so that you can absorb more nutrients from the foods that you’re eating.
Did you know that a whopping 80% of your immune tissue and cells reside within your gut?
This means the gut is essential when it comes to having a strong and robust immune system. A clean, healthy and loved gut ensures the best environment for disease-fighting (good) bacteria to thrive. Good bacteria are allies for your immune cells and communicate with them to keep you healthy.
Your gut is your first entry point for pathogens and bacteria, and the good flora that resides in your gut helps to reduce harmful substances from entering, and being absorbed through the gut lining, it also regulates and stabilises your digestion and trains your immune system to communicate with your brain.
Your gut really is your gateway to your immune system.
Today I’m breaking down my Supercharged Gut Immunity Smoothie piece by piece so you can look at why these gut friendly ingredients are useful:
- Celery: Has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties and its seeds are useful in the treatment of bronchitis.
- Carrot: A prebiotic, can inhibit the growth of undesirable bad bacteria, without negatively affecting good probiotic species
- Cucumber: Promotes hydration and removal of waste products.
- Rocket (Arugula): is natural anti-histamine and being alkaline, it helps to balance your body's optimal pH, which is vital for a healthy digestive system.
- Kale: Studies show kale is rich in vitamins (A, K, C, folate), essential minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium), and dietary fibre.
- Blueberries: are rich in anthocyanins, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may alter the gut microbiota
- Banana: When just under ripe they serve as good prebiotics for the digestive system and when ripe they help with bloating
- Mango: Contains a combination of polyphenols and fibre. This is the kind of fibre which is effective in relieving constipation
- Kefir or yoghurt: Rocket fuel for good bacteria in the gut.
- Golden gut blend: Is a cleaner and primer for the gut with the addition of turmeric, which has potent anti-inflammatory effects.
- Plant based protein powder: Beneficially impacts the intestinal environment to enhance digestion.
- Collagen: Your villi along the intestinal wall are made up of collagen and its amino acids can help seal the gut and support connective tissue.
If you don’t have access to fresh vegetables it’s ok to use whatever you have frozen. I’m growing kale and rocket in the garden at the moment and I put it into the freezer and use that. It’s easy to grow even it you have it in a pot. Don’t forget that it’s ok to freeze your greens like spinach, kale and rocket too. If you're in need of a FREE 14-day shopping list and tips how to stock your fridge, freezer and pantry you can get it here.
Love Your Gut powder, capsules and Golden Gut Blend gently clean your gut. Their pH of 8 keeps it nice and balanced, eliminating harmful bacteria, fungi and parasites and ensuring you have the right balance of good and bad bacteria.
Think of it like brushing your teeth - if you skip a brush you can feel the bacteria and plaque on your teeth. It's the same with your gut.
Keep it clean so it can do its work alongside your immune cells to keep you strong and healthy.
Please enjoy this delicious smoothie and let me know what you think in the comments section below.
My Lockdown Gut Immunity Smoothie
2 sticks celery
1 small carrot
1/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/4 cup kefir or yoghurt
1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
1 tsp golden gut blend
Scoop plant based protein powder
1/2 cup water
Place in bender and whizz until smooth