A sweet little video about a breakfast you can make the night before.
I’m using rolled oats, the standard bircher base plus grated apple but you can swap out for pear if you prefer.
There are other crafty switches you can make too, the apple juice gives it a light sweet flavor, but it can be swapped for coconut milk or almond milk for a much creamier and deeper complexity and consistency.
Crunchiness is a must, so topple on seeds and flaxseed meal or depending upon your personal preference just about any kind of nuts such as chopped hazelnuts or walnuts will give you a bit of texture and crispiness.
Gently stir in some yoghurt of choice during the process remembering to leave some to dollop on top in the morning.
I hope you’ll embrace this bircher and make it a regular part of your breakfast routine.
From my recipe book Eat Right for Your Shape.
And just in case you need it, here's the recipe.
- 1 apple, cored and grated
- 95 g (31⁄4 oz/1 cup) gluten-free rolled oats
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1⁄2 cup) apple juice
- 130 g (41⁄2 oz/1⁄2 cup) sheep’s milk yoghurt, plus extra to serve (optional) 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- fresh blueberries, to serve
Combine the apple, oats, apple juice, yoghurt and cinnamon in a bowl and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or if making the same morning, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour).
When ready to serve, stir through the seeds and flaxseed meal, and top with the blueberries. Serve with extra yoghurt if using.
Let me know what you think about this recipe in the comments section below.