Ripe For the Picking
In Season Produce…If you’re looking for inspiration in your menu planning and want to know which fruits and vegetables are in season and at their peak of flavour in Australia, below is a list of prime-time candidates for the month of February. You’ll find these fruits and vegetables at their freshest and cheapest if you buy them in season.
We are so used to seeing the same fruit and vegetables day in and day out on our supermarket shelves, that sometimes it’s hard to know old the food is that we are actually buying.
If you live in the UK try this link for what’s in season http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk
and for North America http://www.eattheseasons.com
The eat the seasons website gives some great information and reasons to eat more local seasonal food such as;
- It reduces the energy (and associated CO2 emissions) needed to grow and transport the food we eat
- We avoid paying a premium for food that is scarcer or has travelled a long way
- We support the local economy
- We reconnect with nature's cycles and the passing of time
- But, most importantly, because seasonal food is fresher and so tends to be tastier and more nutritious
- Honeydew melons
- Kiwi fruit
- Valencia oranges
- Sweet corn
- Zucchini flowers
Why not plan a trip to your local farmer's market or grocer and pick up some fresh fruit and vegetables at their seasonal best?. Just picked produce tastes so much better. Enjoy the extra flavour and goodness and crunch factor that in season produce brings!
Share the love